On 10/19/07, Jean-Paul Calderone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In trunk after 2.5, equality and hashing for TestCase were added, changing
> the behavior so that two instances of TestCase for the same test method hash
> the same and compare equal.  This means two instances of TestCase for the
> same test method cannot be added to a single set.
>
> Here's the change:
>
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/unittest.py?rev=54199&r1=42115&r2=54199
>
> The implementations aren't even very good, since they prevent another type
> from deciding that it wants to customize comparison against TestCase (or
> TestSuite,
> or FunctionTestCase) instances.

The implementations have been changed in a more recent revision.

> Is there a real use case for this functionality?  If not, I'd like it to be
> removed to restore the old behavior.

The use-case was problems I encountered when writing the test suite
for unittest. If you can find a way to implement the functionality you
want *and* keep the test suite reasonably straightforward, I'll be
happy to review your patch.

Collin Winter