[GvR]
> We're thin on contributors as it is (have you noticed
> how few people are submitting anything at all lately?).

The people who are contributing are doing a nice job. Also, it was nice that
the change was discussed on the list.

> 2.6 should be extremely compatible with 2.5 by default.

Good to hear that is still a primary goal.  Along the way, I worried that that
sentiment had been lost and that little incompatibilities were sneaking in
(iirc, the proposed transition plan for leading zeroes was headed down this
path).

> The incentive for upgrading will be "you can reach 3.0
> easier via 2.6" and perhaps "the latest version of 3rd
> party software X runs best on 2.6".

Does the 2to3 tool work from 2.5 or from 2.6 or does it make difference?  If it
works from 2.5, I'm thinking my company will make the jump all at once (after
the 3.x series stabilizes, gets optimized, and key third-party packages have
been migrated).

I'm also expecting that some chuck of users will be left in the 2.x world and
that they would like highest version to be as clean as possible (with migration
features going into the category of things that don't provide them any
benefit).

> Right now, in the trunk, math.float(1) returns 1,
> where it should return 1.0 for compatibility with 2.5.
> Jeffrey, can you fix this and similar incompatibilities
> you introduced?

Thanks for zapping this.

Raymond