Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> I follow the advice Guido gave: I use the data
> structure that will make my code shortest and easiest
> to read,

But given a choice such as list vs. dict, the code
is almost identical either way. What do you do then?
Toss a coin? Or make a few educated guesses based on
what you know about each data type?

> Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

This phrase seems to be widely misused. Making your
code bloated and convoluted without good evidence of
the necessity is premature optimisation. Picking an
appropriate data structure for the task based on
experience is good design practice.

--
Greg