First, I'd like to know why this discussion is happening on
the committers list.

Python-dev is the right list for these things. I've adjusted the
CC accordingly.

On 2008-08-12 20:44, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
I am planning to offer a single file patch for 2.3 and 2.4. As far as
one more 2.5 release, I don't think there's going to be many changes
to the 2.5 branch between now and 2.6/3.0 final - although if there
is, we'll obviously have to do another release.
I would like to establish a tradition where, after some final bug fix
release (e.g. for 2.5), further "mere" bug fixes are banned from the
maintenance branch (and I did revert several bug fixes from the 2.4
branch).
I'm not sure I agree with this policy.  Can you elaborate on /why/ you
want this?

Because there won't typically be sufficient testing and release
infrastructure to allow arbitrary bug fixes to be committed on the
branch. The buildbots are turned off, and nobody tests the release
candidate, no Windows binaries are provided - thus, chances are very
high that a bug fix release for some very old branch will be *worse*
than the previous release, rather than better.

Second, I don't think this is true. People using those patch
level releases will test and report bugs if they are introduced
by such backports.

Besides, developers backporting such changes are diligent enough
to test their changes - they will usually have a reason for applying
the extra effort to backport.

I don't see any advantage in undoing already tested and committed
patches to an older branch.

Note that Python 2.4 is still widely used out there. As an
example, all the Zope and Plone installations run Python 2.4 and
will continue to do so for quite a while.

And there's a reason for this slow uptake of Python 2.5: as more
and more servers run 64-bit OSes, the Py_ssize_t changes cause
serious trouble with Python C extensions that were not updated
by their authors.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 13 2008)