On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:42:06 -0500, Benjamin Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Antoine Pitrou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

Is this just intended to discourage subclassing? If so, why give the
misleading impression that these things can be subclassed by naming them
as if they were classes?

How should this be handled when it comes to the addition of PEP 8
compliant aliases?

I don't see a problem for trivial functional wrappers to classes to be
capitalized like classes. So I'd suggest option 3: leave it as-is. Otherwise
option 2 (replace the wrappers with the actual classes) has my preference.

Yes, I believe that pretending that functions are classes is a fairly
common idiom in the stdlib and out, so I see no problem leaving them
alone. We haven't had any complaints about the threading Event
function yet either. :)

Here's a complaint.  It's surprising that you can't use Event et al with
isinstance.  This is something I'm sure a lot of people run into (I did,
many years ago) when they start to use these APIs.  Once you do figure
out why it doesn't work, it's not clear how to do what you want, since
_Event is private.

Jean-Paul