On Tue, September 9, 2008 12:49 pm, Bill Janssen wrote:

>> IMHO, this severely limits the new ssl module's utility, and discourages
>> good security practices.
>
> Please file a bug report.  A bug report with a patch and tests would
> be even better :-).  Assign it to me.

I filed one, but the bug tracker doesn't seem to offer a way to assign it
to you.  I'll add you to the nosy list.

http://bugs.python.org/issue3823

I'm pretty swamped right now, so I don't think I can learn the code well
enough to make a patch in the few weeks before python 2.6 is released.
(How nice it would be if the debut of this very useful module was free of
this problem!)  If I find some unexpected free time, I'll take a crack at
it.