Unbelievable as this may seem, this crazy over-committing malloc
behavior is by now "a classic" -- I first fought against it in 1990,
when IBM released AIX 3 for its then-new RS/6000 line of workstations;
in a later minor release they did provide a way to optionally switch
this off, but, like on Linux, it's a system-wide switch, NOT
per-process:-(.

I concur with http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-9.html (the best
explanation I know of the subject, and recommended reading) which, on
this subject, says "Linux on the other hand is seriously broken."
(just like AIX 3 was).  Sad to learn that BSD is now also broken in
the same way:-(.

Alex