Eric Smith wrote:
Terry Reedy wrote:
Ron Adam wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Michael Foord wrote:

Don't we have a pretty-print API - and isn't it spelled __str__ ?

Not really. If it were as simple as calling str(obj), there would be no need for the pprint module.

I agree. And when I want to use pprint, there are usually additional output formatting requirements I need that isn't a "one size fits all" type of problem.

I don't see how you can have a standard interface (like __pprint__), and have additional, per-object formatting parameters.

I don't see how you can't. Other standard methods take variable arguments: __init__, __new__, __call__ come to mind.

> But that's beside the
point, I don't like __pprint__ in any event. Too special.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too special". It's no more special than any other special method. Do you mean the use-case is not common enough? I would find this useful. Whether enough people would find it useful enough to add yet another special method is an open question.

--
Steven