I am just replying to the end of this thread to throw in a reminder
about my partial.skip patch, which allows the following usage:

split_one = partial(str.split, partial.skip, 1)

Not looking to say "mine is better", but if the idea is being given
merit, I like the skipping arguments method better than just the
"right partial", which I think is confusing combined with keyword and
optional arguments. And, this patch already exists. Could it be
re-evaluated?

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy