Antoine Pitrou schrieb:
> Benjamin Peterson <benjamin <at> python.org> writes:
>>
>> As we prepare to merge the io-c branch, the question has come up [1]
>> about the original Python implementation. Should it just be deleted in
>> favor C version? The wish to maintain the two implementations together
>> has been raised on the basis that Python is easier to experiment on
>> and read (for other vm implementors).
>
> As I said, if it is the way forward, I suggest putting the Python version in a
> separate module (e.g. pyio.py), for the sake of clarity and also because it
> may
> slightly improve startup times (the pure-Python module wouldn't get imported
> in
> normal conditions).
>
> Your thoughts?

I just hope everyone updates both versions when making changes to IO.

This is somewhat of a non-problem for small modules like bisect, or heapq.
For pickle and StringIO, we already saw how not to do it in 2.x -- hopefully
the new _pickle and pickle modules stay compatible.  IO is much larger a
piece of code...

Georg