Nick Coghlan wrote:
Terry Reedy wrote:

OK, that suggests that the new feature should only be committed, if
ever, to 2.7 after 3.1, when it can also be committed to 3.2 at the same
time.

Not really - there's already stuff in 3.0 that wasn't backported the
first time around.

Irrelevant. It is intended that Py3 have features that never appear in Py2. My suggestion is aimed at avoiding the possibility that a new feature such as simplegeneric appear in 2.7 and *not* in 3.x.
[snip]

> The only thing that I believe *shouldn't* happen is for 2.7
to be released with new features that aren't yet available in a 3.x release.

Which is the point of my suggestion -- correctly read and understood ;-).

Terry