[Forest]
Okay, but I'd also like a convenient and fast way to find the oldest entry
in an OrderedDict, which I think I'd need for an LRU cache.  Skimming the
current patch (od7.diff), I didn't notice one.  Perhaps I simply missed
something.  Shouldn't popitem() allow the caller to choose which end from
which to pop?

Forest, I've taken another look at what's involved and am inclined to recommend the idea. It can be done without mucking-up the regular dict API and without precluding any of the other possible underlying algorithms. I like that it supports an entire new categoy of use cases with only a trivial, easily-understood API extension. Patch is attached at http://bugs.python.org/issue5397

Raymond