Greg Ewing wrote:
Giovanni Bajo wrote:

Just today, I was talking with a colleague (which is learning Python right now) about "ordered dict". His first thought was a dictionary that, when iterated, would return keys in sorted order.

I wonder whether "indexed list" would be a more appropriate
name for what we're talking about here -- basically
a sequence type that holds things in arbitrary order, but
with the additional ability to look things up quickly by
a key.

I almost agree, except that the API uses the dict, not list, API. For instance, items are appended by adding a key, not with .append. With sort not available and .popitem removing the last added item, 'indexed stack' would be a bit closer. Indeed, I plan to try out odicts with graph algorithms that need keyed access to stacked items.

tjr