anatoly techtonik wrote:
Correct me if I wrong, but shouldn't Python include function for
version comparisons?

<snip>

What do you think about adding cmpversions(first, second,
strict=false) based on distutils into main lib?

distutils _is_ already in the "main lib", that is, the standard library.

Will it be more appropriate to isolate the function into "versions" module?
Should it be rewritten to remove re dependency in this case?

Given that re is also in the standard library, and this is hardly speed
critical, I'd say no.

Distutils version comparisons:
http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release26-maint/Lib/distutils/version.py?view=markup

I don't see the point of moving this, unless it's part of some larger,
radical "fix distutils" effort. And even then I'm not convinced.

This probably belongs on the python-ideas mailing list, or on the
distutils SIG list. I expect you'll see a lot of discussion on distutils
SIG list in the coming days.

Eric.