Eeek, I think it was me.  Part of the AST changes involved raising a
SyntaxError when exec was used in a scope that had a free variable,
since the behavior is pretty much undefined.  If the compiler decides
a variable is free, then it can't be assigned to in the function body.
 The compiled exec code can't know whether the variable is local or
free in the exec context, only that it should generate a STORE_NAME
opcode.  The STORE_NAME can't possibly work.

It looks like I did a bad job of documenting the change, though.  I
had forgotton about it ,because it was three or four years ago.

It looks like the same exception should be raised for the class statement.

Jeremy