Dirkjan Ochtman schrieb:
> On 05/04/2009 12:27, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> There's also the issue of how we adapt the current workflow of "svnmerging"
>> between branches when we want to back- or forward-port stuff. In particular,
>> tracking of already done or blocked backports.
>
> Right. The canonical way to do that with Mercurial is to commit patches
> against the "oldest" branch where they should be applied, so that every
> stable branch is a strict subset of every less stable branch.

That's what I do as well in Sphinx.  It works fine there, but there are two
issues if you want to apply it to Python:

* As Antoine said, trunk and py3k are very different. Merging would still be
  possible, but confusing.

* Our current trunk/maint branches will have completely different commits,
  so pulling (e.g.) from 2.6 into trunk won't work.

So I'd be in favor of a solution like the following:

* Once 2.7 and 3.1 are final, create their maint branches as "real" Hg
  branches, so that for each pair committing to maint and pulling into
  trunk works.

* For the 2->3 merging, use transplant (optionally with the mentioned
  feature of keeping track what was already transplanted and blocked).

Georg