On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Harry (Thiago Leucz Astrizi)
<thiagoha...@riseup.net> wrote:

> Hello everybody. My name is Thiago and currently I'm working as a
> teacher in a high school in Brazil. I have plans to offer in the
> school a programming course to the students, but I had some problems
> to find a good langüage. As a Python programmer, I really like the
> language's syntax and I think that Python is very good to teach
> programming. But there's a little problem: the commands and keywords
> are in english and this can be an obstacle to the teenagers that could
> enter in the course.
>
> Because of this, I decided to create a Python version with keywords in
> portuguese and with some modifications in the grammar to be more
> portuguese-like. To this, I'm using Python 3.0.1 source code.

I love the idea (and most recently edited PEP 306) so here are a few
suggestions;

Brazil has many python programmers so you might be able to make quick
progress by asking them for volunteer time.

To bug-hunt your technical problem: try switching the "not is"
operator to include an underscore "not_is."  The python LL(1) grammar
checker works for python but isn't robust, and does miss some grammar
ambiguities.  Making the operator a single word might reveal a bug in
the parser.

Please consider switching your students to 'real' python part way
through the course.  If they want to use the vast amount of python
code on the internet as examples they will need to know the few
English keywords.

Also - most python core developers are not native English speakers and
do OK :)  PyCon speakers are about 25% non-native English speakers and
EuroPython speakers are about the reverse (my rough estimate - I'd
love to see some hard numbers).

Keep up the Good Work,

-Jack