On 19 Apr 2009, at 02:17, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Nick Coghlan writes:
3. Change the shebang lines in Python standard library scripts to be
version specific and update release.py to fix them all when bumping the
version number in the source tree.

+1

I think that it's probably best to leave "python", "python2", and
"python3" for the use of downstream distributors.  ISTR that was what
Guido concluded, in the discuss that led to Python 3 defaulting to
altinstall---it wasn't just convenient because Python 3 is a major
change, but that experience has shown that deciding which Python is
going to be "The python" on somebody's system just isn't a decision
that Python should make.

Ok, so if I understand, the situation is:
* python points to 2.x version
* python3 points to 3.x version
* need to be able to run certain 3k scripts from cmdline (since we're talking about shebangs) using Python3k even though "python" points to 2.x

So, if I got the situation right, then do these same scripts understand that PYTHONPATH and PYTHONHOME and all the others are also probably pointing to 2.x code?

Jared