On approximately 4/27/2009 8:39 PM, came the following characters from the keyboard of Martin v. Löwis:
I'm not suggesting the PEP should solve the problem of mounting foreign
file systems, although if it doesn't it should probably point that out. I'm just suggesting that if the people that write software to solve the
problem of mounting foreign file systems have already solved the naming
problem, then it might be a source of a good solution.  On the other
hand, it might be the source of a mediocre or bad solution.  However, if
those mounting system have good solutions, it would be good to be
compatible with them, rather than have yet another solution.  It was in
that sense, of thinking about possibly existing practice, and leveraging
an existing solution, that caused me to bring up the topic.

I think you make quite a lot of assumptions here. It would be better
to research the state of the art first, and only then propose to follow it.

I didn't propose to follow it. I only proposed an area that could be researched as a source of ideas and/or potential solutions. Apparently there wasn't, but there could have been someone listening that had the results of such research on the tip of their tongue, and might have piped up with the techniques used. I did, in fact, begin researching the topic after making the suggestion, and thus far haven't found any brilliant solutions from that arena.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/