[Jeffrey E. McAninch, PhD]
I very often want something like a try-except conditional expression similar
to the if-else conditional.
An example of the proposed syntax might be:
   x = float(string) except float('nan')
or possibly
   x = float(string) except ValueError float('nan')

+1 I've long wanted something like this.

One possible spelling is:

  x = float(string) except ValueError else float('nan')

If accepted, this would also solve the feature requests for various functions
to have default arguments.
For example:

  x = min(seq) except ValueError else 0     # default to zero for empty
sequences

It would also be helpful in calculations that have algebraic restrictions:

 sample_std_deviation = sqrt(sum(x - mu for x in seq) / (len(seq)-1)) except
ZeroDivisionError else float('Inf')

Raymond