On 26 Sep, 2009, at 14:46, Barry Scott wrote:

I'm working with http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk on Mac OS X 10.6.1
using Apples xcode gcc 4.2.1.

When I run the following commands:

./configure --enable-framework --with-universal-archs=32-bit | tee build.config.log
        make clean all | tee build.make.log

I end up with a x86_64 Python image.

No matter what I use for archs its always the same.

I would expect to see -arch arg to GCC but it is not there.

        export CFLAG="-arch i386"

did not work either.

Am I doing something wrong or is this broken on trunk?

Use:

    ./configure --enable-framework --enable-universalsdk=/

The --with-universal-archs flag selects whichs architectures should be included when you build a universal binary, defaulting to 32-bit.

I'll write some documentation on the build options on OSX, but don't know what's the best location to do so.

I guess I should also add logic to configure that bails out when you specifiy --with-universal-archs without asking for a universal build.

Ronald

Barry