Done:
http://bugs.python.org/issue7753

Porting to 2.7 was easier since it didn't involve putting the
changesets listed in issue 4293.

The performance numbers in the bug are more accurate than the ones I
previously posted. Turns out the system python is not a good baseline.
The improvement from this patch isn't as good, but still ~15% for the 4
thread case. I hear rumor that platforms other than linux show much
better improvement from the new GIL.

Ross