"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> No, but it's most likely a wrong guess, since text files don't
>> really have anything to do with what the user wants to see in
>> a user interface.
>
> That also depends on the operating system. On Windows, there is
> a long tradition of encoding all text in the system code page.
> All text editors on Windows know that. On Unix, text editors also
> assume that the text is in the locale's encoding unless directed
> otherwise.
>
>> It may be a good guess to stdin/out/err, since these provide part
>> of the user interface (if they are connected to a TTY), but not
>> for arbitrary text files which are normally meant for data exchange.
>
> Hmm - what do you mean by "normally"? Normally, text files are meant
> for human readers, not for exchange between programs.

It's rather common to exchange text files between users... and
in form of XML and CSV files, these also tend to get used as
input for programs every now and then ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 23 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/