On Feb 03, 2010, at 11:31 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Having a lookup dictionary from Python version + C API magic numbers to
>the magic strings used in cache filenames in the import engine shouldn't
>be too tricky. I'll admit it wasn't until the thread had already been
>going for a while that I realised that, though :)

I agree, and it's clear that would be much more user friendly.  I've added a
note to my working copy of the PEP and leave that as a possible design
change.  I'm still not certain what the right mapping would be though.  Python
version numbers don't seem quite right, but maybe they are a "good enough"
solution.

-Barry