On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 16:26, Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:
> Because timezones are defined politically, they change frequently.  pytz
> is released frequently (multiple times per year) to accomodate those
> changes:  I can't see any way to preserve that flexibility if the
> package were part of stdlib.

By using what the OS provides. At least on Linux, the basic timezone
data is usually updated by other means (at least on the distro I'm
familiar with, it's updated quite often, too; through the package
manager). I'm assuming Windows and OS X would also be able to provide
something like this. I think pytz already looks at this data if it's
available (precisely because it might well be newer).

Cheers,

Dirkjan