-On [20100220 13:04], "Martin v. Löwis" (mar...@v.loewis.de) wrote:
>> The last commits by Fredrik to ElementTree in Python SVN that I can
>> see are dated 2006-08-16. The last commits I can see to ElementTree at
>> http://svn.effbot.python-hosting.com/ are dated 2006-07-05.
>
>And?

[snip]

># Since you've effectively hijacked the library, and have created your
># own fork that's not fully compatible with any formal release of the
># upstream library, and am not contributing any patches back to
># upstream, I suggest renaming it instead.
>
>This may be politely phrased, but it seems that he is quite upset about
>these proposed changes.
>
>I'd rather drop ElementTree from the standard library than fork it.

Maybe I am fully misunderstanding something here and I am also known for
just bluntly stating things but:

Isn't inclusion into the standard library under the assumption that
maintenance will be performed on the code? With all due respect to Frederik,
but if you add such a module to the base distribution and then ignore it for
3-4 years I personally have a hard time feeling your 'outrage' being
justified for someone who is trying to fix outstanding issues in
ElementTree.

I also do not find your idea of dropping the module productive either
Martin. Just dropping it for no other reason because someone cannot be
bothered to act as a responsible maintainer just seems not useful for Python
users at all. Especially since patches *are* available.

If Frederik has problems with that he should have put a bit more effort into
maintaining it in the first place.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
In this short time of promise, you're a memory...