On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> So basically do what the PEP does now, except don't remove optparse in
>> Python 3.5?  For reference, the current proposal is:
>>
>> * Python 2.7+ and 3.2+ -- The following note will be added to the
>> optparse documentation:
>>    The optparse module is deprecated and will not be developed
>> further; development will continue with the argparse module.
>> * Python 2.7+ -- If the Python 3 compatibility flag, -3, is provided
>> at the command line, then importing optparse will issue a
>> DeprecationWarning. Otherwise no warnings will be issued.
>> * Python 3.2 (estimated Jun 2010) -- Importing optparse will issue a
>> PendingDeprecationWarning, which is not displayed by default.
>> * Python 3.3 (estimated Jan 2012) -- Importing optparse will issue a
>> PendingDeprecationWarning, which is not displayed by default.
>> * Python 3.4 (estimated Jun 2013) -- Importing optparse will issue a
>> DeprecationWarning, which is displayed by default.
>> * Python 3.5 (estimated Jan 2015) -- The optparse module will be removed.
>>
>> So if I drop that last bullet, is the PEP ready for pronouncement?
>
> Drop the last two  bullets and it's a deal. (OTOH AFAIK we changed
> DeprecationWarning so it is *not* displayed by default.)

Done:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0389/#deprecation-of-optparse

Thank you, and thanks to all who helped in the discussion of this PEP!

My plan is to make a final external release of argparse (1.1) fixing
some current issues, and then merge that into the Python repository. I
should be able to get this done before Python 2.7 alpha 4 on
2010-03-06.

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?