On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 March 2010 04:20, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the case of floats and Decimals, there's no ambiguity here that
>> creates any temptation to guess - to determine a true/false result for a
>> comparison, floats can be converted explicitly to Decimals without any
>> loss of accuracy. For Fractions, the precedent has already been set by
>> allowing implicit (potentially lossy) conversion to binary floats - a
>> lossy conversion to Decimal wouldn't be any worse.
>
> Hmm, given that a float can be converted losslessly to a fraction, why
> was the decision taken to convert the fraction to a float rather than
> the other way round?

I'm not sure of the actual reason for this decision, but one argument
I've seen used for other languages is that it's desirable for the
inexactness of the float type to be contagious:  rationals are
perceived as exact, while floats are perceived as approximations.

Note that this only applies to arithmetic operations:  for
comparisons, an exact conversion *is* performed.  This is much like
what currently happens with ints and floats in the core:  a mixed-type
arithmetic operation between an int and a float first converts the int
to a float (possibly changing the value in the process).  A mixed-type
comparison makes an exact comparison without doing such a conversion.
For example (in any non-ancient version of Python):

>>> n = 2**53 + 1
>>> x = 2.**53
>>> n > x   # compares exact values;  no conversion performed
True
>>> n - x    # converts n to a float before subtracting
0.0

> I don't see a PEP for the fractions module, and my google-fu has
> failed to find anything. Was there a discussion on this?

There's PEP 3141 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3141/), which was
the motivation for adding the fractions module in the first place, and
there's the issue tracker item for the fractions module
(http://bugs.python.org/issue1682).

Mark