On 18/04/2010 15:13, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
On 14 Apr, 2010, at 23:37, Michael Foord wrote:

On 14/04/2010 23:32, Greg Ewing wrote:
Michael Foord wrote:
Building Python requires, I believe, the XCode development tools to be
installed. Even then, building a full version of Python - with *all* the C
extensions that are part of a Python release - is not a trivial task.
What's non-trivial about it? I usually find that the normal
"./configure; make; make install" sequence works fine without
any further intervention.

If you want a framework installation you have to read the
README and use a couple of extra options, but it still works
very smoothly.

A build on my machine produces output similar to:

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not
found:
_bsddb             dl                 gdbm
imageop            linuxaudiodev      ossaudiodev
readline           spwd               sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_tkinter

Obviously many of those are not meant to be built and I usually build Python
for running the test suite - so I don't care about not having Tkinter. A new
user of Python would most certainly care about not having Tkinter.

What's the OS version? Do you have a copy of Tcl/Tk in /Library/Frameworks?

10.6.3 and yes I have Tcl and Tk in /Library/Frameworks. How do I determine which versions they are?

All the best,

Michael

Ronald

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of
your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any
and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and
acceptable use policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without
prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you
have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your
employer.