On 4/26/10 4:46 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Apr 26, 2010, at 09:39 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

You should be permissive on that one. Until we know how to describe resource
files properly, __file__ is what developer use when they need their projects
to be portable..

Until then, isn't pkg_resources the best practice for this?  (I'm pretty sure
we've talked about this before.)

I don't think the OP is really speaking against using __file__ per se, but rather putting data into the package however it is accessed. The Linux-packager preferred practice is to install into the appropriate /usr/shared/ subdirectory. Writing portable libraries (with portable setup.py files!) is difficult to do that way, though.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco