Martin v. Löwis <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Bill Janssen wrote:
> > Martin v. Löwis <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:

> >> It doesn't really make sense. It should skip the test, instead of
> >> failing it. I.e. aborting the Python process is definitely not a good
> >> response.
> >
> > Yes, you're right.  It's a bug in the test.
>
> No, I'd say it's even deeper, in the Tcl integration.
>
> There shouldn't be a way to cause an interpreter abort, except by
> calling os.abort().

There are some cases where the OS X security mechanism interprets an
invalid attempt to connect to the window server as a privilege
violation, and just terminates the process.  I've seen that before.

This is basically a resource issue in the testing framework, too, like
having network access.  The problem is, for lot of external libraries,
it's not clear just what resources they assume are available.  If we
believe that Tk doesn't intend to require access to the window server,
it's a Tk bug.  If we know that it does, it's a resource issue.

Bill