Steven D'Aprano wrote:
I have suggested a way to move the existing concurrency stuff without breaking backwards compatibility, and Terry Reedy asked if it would work. I haven't seen any responses, either positive or negative.

For the record, my suggestion was:

for each concurrency modules:
  move it into the concurrency package
  add a top level module with the same name containing:
    # e.g. for threading
    from concurrency.threading import *

In the past the problem identified with this approach has been that pickles produced with new pythons would not be readable by older pythons.

I think this was the main reason that Brett's 3.0 library reorganization wasn't more radical. Theres a discussion if this here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-May/079535.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/stdlib-sig/2008-May/000303.html
and a little more here:
http://bugs.python.org/issue2775