On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 01:15 -0400, Fred Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Senthil Kumaran <orsent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > it would still be a good idea to
> > introduce some of them in minor releases in 2.7. I know, this
> > deviating from the process, but it could be an option considering that
> > 2.7 is the last of 2.x release.
>
> I disagree.
>
> If there are going to be features going into *any* post 2.7.0 version,
> there's no reason not to increment the revision number to 2.8,
>
> Since there's also a well-advertised decision that 2.7 will be the
> last 2.x, such a 2.8 isn't planned.  But there's no reason to violate
> the no-features-in-bugfix-releases policy.  We've seen violations
> cause trouble and confusion, but we've not seen it be successful.
>
> The policy wasn't arbitrary; let's stick to it.

It might be useful to copy the identifiers and URLs of all the backport
request tickets into some other repository, or to create some unique
state in roundup for these.  Rationale: it's almost certain that if the
existing Python core maintainers won't evolve Python 2.X past 2.7, some
other group will, and losing existing context for that would kinda suck.

- C