On 11/07/2010 23:18, Tal Einat wrote:
Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Initially (five years ago!) I tried to overcome these issues by
improving IDLE, solving problems and adding a few key features.
Without going into details, suffice to say that IDLE hasn't improved
much since 2005 despite my efforts. For example, see
http://bugs.python.org/issue1529142, where it took nearly 3 years to
fix a major issue from the moment I posted the first workaround. For
another example, see http://bugs.python.org/issue3068, where I posted
a patch for an extension configuration dialog over two years ago, and
it hasn't received as much as a sneeze in response.

I can understand that this is frustrating, ...

I am not writing this to vent my frustration, and have purposely
avoided making that the issue.

... but please understand that
this is not specific to your patches, or to IDLE. Many other patches on
bugs.python.org remain unreviewed for many years. That's because many of
the issues are really tricky, and there are very few people who both
have the time and the expertise to evaluate them.

I am aware of the situation with regard to issue reviews, but I think
with IDLE there is more going on. In other parts of the Python
codebase, a workaround for a major usability issue wouldn't normally
have taken nearly three years to resolve after a working patch was
submitted. And a working, well-tested patch wouldn't normally have sat
ignored for over two years. Well, perhaps these things happen
occasionally, but with IDLE this is the norm.

FWIW, I don't consider a few months as a "long" time for a patch review.
At the moment, I'm personally able to perhaps review one issue per week
(sometimes less); at this rate, it'll take several years until I get
to everything.

I'm not talking about a few months, I'm talking about at least six
months in most cases, years in many cases, as in the examples I
mentioned.

- Tal Einat

I can understand your frustration, but in response to an appeal from Terry Reedy some weeks back on c.l.py I've done a substantial amount of work in the last couple of weeks to clear outstanding issues, sadly IDLE just sits in the pile. Ow, but hang on a minute, I've already volunteered TJR to take this on, I believe he's up for it, I'll support him up to the hilt, so why the hell can't we get on with it? Or would the triage team as it stands object cos they'll be put out of a job? :)

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.