On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 04:27:45PM -0400, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Oleg Broytman <p...@phd.pp.ru> wrote:
> ..
> >> Really?  What smartphone are you using?  :-)
> >
> >   Are you developing an interface for smartphones? Wouldn't it hurt
> > usability for desktops/notebooks?
>
> You missed the smiley in my response.

   I am a well-known wet blanket. (-:

> But seriously, I do find the
> interfaces that work well on smartphones to improve usability for
> desktops/notebooks.

   Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Big screen(s) and a wheeled
multi-button mouse allow quite a different interface compared to small
screen and single-finger taps.

> Back on the topic, I don't think a drop-down list of all modules is
> workable even in browsers that display them as combo boxes.  How many
> modules do we have in std lib?  About 100? Maybe more.  What if the
> bug affects several modules?  What if the patch modifies several
> modules?  Do we want to allow selection of multiple modules for the
> given issue?  The components window is already hard to use if you want
> to select say both Extension Modules and Windows.  This is with just
> about 20 entries.   Imagine over 100 entries there.

   In this particular case I'd rather tend to agree - an editable
single-line box to enter space-*and*-comma-separated modules list would be
the best interface.

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytman            http://phd.pp.ru/            p...@phd.pp.ru