On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:31:45 -0500
Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone explain the two different "default" installations I got?
>
> It seems to me I should force the Ubuntu-style installation by  the
> "--with-universal-archs=64-bit" configure option, and I will try that
> on Debian while I await expert help.

I think "universal arch" builds only apply under OS X where they
produce fat binaries.

Under 64-bit Linux, you can compile either a 64-bit executable (the
default) or a 32-bit executable (by specifying e.g. CC="gcc -m32" to
the configure script).

However, the /usr/local/lib{,64}/python2.7 issue is a bit different,
since those directories can host architecture independent files
(such as .py and .pyc files). For example, on my Mandriva
install, the 64-bit Python executable can import packages from
both /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
and /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/.

Regards

Antoine.