On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>    Antoine> Given that few or none of us seem to (want to) actively
>>    Antoine> contribute to the wiki, I'm afraid python-dev is not the place
>>    Antoine> to ask.  Perhaps a call should be issued on c.l.py ...
>>
>> It would be nice if you could actually send messages to the people who do
>> actually update wiki content.  Unfortunately, without donning my cape and
>> blue tights, then digging into the users files on the wiki there's no real
>> way to do that.

That's bad. I'd really like to see the amount of my contributions so
far. How about recording a session on MoinMoin hacking and drafting an
upgrade plan? Who's gonna be the driver?

> That's a good point actually... why *isn't* there a pydotorg-wiki-sig?
> (Aside from the obvious point of nobody ever asking for one).

Because Yet Another Mailing List doesn't solve the problem.
If you need one - go Google Groups like packaging folks did.
Python ML are:
1. require dedicated admin to update, who is not a member of the group
2. don't have search
3. don't have optional thread subscription
That's already enough to seek better platform for collaboration.

> I must admit, that the various things I've thrown on there myself have
> been pretty much fire-and-forget. Without anyone that feels like they
> collectively "own" the wiki, the much needed pruning never happens.

Community can perfectly manage the stuff without dedicated admins if
there is a gameplay in it. I am doing the wiki works when I am
redirected to outdated wiki pages from search. But I do it only if it
doesn't take me more than 5 minutes, and if I can remember the
password (and I know where an edit button is).

My advice - subscribe people editing page by default (a checkbox near
submit button). This way more people will receive notifications when a
page is changed and will be more interested to contribute themselves.
Of course, there must be a setting to opt out.

> With an admin team behind it, you can also make more use of ACLs to
> flag certain parts of the wiki as "official" by making them only
> editable by certain people (e.g. only devs, only the triage team, only
> the wiki admins). But keeping those user lists up to date is itself
> something that requires a strong wiki admin team.

That's a dead way. Wiki should be open for everyone. Just need more
people subscribed to revert unwelcome changes. That is to make
timeline more visible, because on wiki.python.org it is _not_
intuitive. It may worth to see how Mercurial wiki is managed - I've
picked up the bookmarks monitoring habit from it. Maybe a design
change will help, but again - there is no entrypoint for people with
design skills to start.

A lot of problems. All on the surface. Mailing list won't help. What's next?
--
anatoly t.