On 24 September 2010 23:43, Glenn Linderman <v+pyt...@g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> Hmm.  There is no need for the function on a case sensitive file system,
> because the name had better be spelled with matching case: that is, if it is
> spelled with non-matching case it is an attempt to reference a non-existent
> file (or at least a different file).

On Linux, I don't believe there's a way to ask "is this filesystem
case insensitive?"

In fact, with userfs, I believe it's possible to do massively
pathological things like having a filesystem which treats anagrams as
the same file (foo is the same file as oof or ofo). (More
realistically, MacOS does Unicode normalisation).

Windows has (I believe) user definable filesystems, too, but the OS
has "get me the real filename" style calls, which the filesystem
should support, so no matter how nasty a filesystem implementer gets,
he has to deal with his own mess :-)

Paul.