On 11/22/2010 5:48 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

I disagree.  I do see a problem with "UCS-2", because it fails to tell
us that Python implements a large number of features that make it easy
to do a very good job of working with non-BMP data in 16-bit builds of

Yes. As I read the standard, UCS-2 is limited to BMP chars. So I was a bit confused when Python was described as UCS-2, until I realized that the term was inaccurate. Using that term punishes people like me who take the time to read the standard or otherwise learn what the term means.

What Python does might be called USC-2+ or UCS-2e (xtended).

--
Terry Jan Reedy