On 23/11/2010 16:05, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Le mardi 23 novembre 2010 à 15:40 +0000, Michael Foord a écrit :
On 23/11/2010 15:30, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Le mardi 23 novembre 2010 à 15:15 +0000, Michael Foord a écrit :
There are still two reasonable APIs (unless you have changed your mind
and think that sticking with plain integers is best), of which I prefer
the latter:

SOME_CONST = Constant('SOME_CONST', 1)
OTHER_CONST = Constant('OTHER_CONST', 2)

or:

Constants = make_constants('Constants', 'SOME_CONST OTHER_CONST', start=1)
Or:

Constants = make_constants('Constants', 'SOME_CONST OTHER_CONST',
                             values=range(1, 3))

Again, auto-enumeration is useless since it's trivial to achieve
explicitly.
Ah, I see. It is the auto-enumeration you disliked. Sure - not a problem.

I think the step that Nick described, of evaluating places in the
standard library that this could be used, is a good one. I'll try to get
around to it and perhaps attempt to resuscitate the PEP. (Any
suggestions as to an appropriate module if having it live in its own
module is still an objection?)
We already have a bunch of bizarrely unrelated stuff in collections
(such as Callable), so we could put enum there too.

I guess it creates collections of constants...

Michael

Regards

Antoine.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.