On 11/24/2010 2:04 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 15:07, Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  wrote:

I used Notepad to edit the file, TortoiseSvn to commit, the same as I did
for #9222, rev86702, Lib\idlelib\IOBinding.py, yesterday.
If the latter is OK, perhaps *.py gets filtered better than misc. text
files. I believe I have the config as specified in dev/faq.

Adding the BOM will be an editor thing, not a svn thing. Doing a
Google search for [ms notepad bom] shows that Notepad did the
"helpful", invisible edit.

So I presume it did the same with IOBinding.py. Does *.py get filtered is a way that could be extended to no-extention files? Do *.txt files get BOM filtered off? Should all text files in repository have some extension (default .txt)?

More to the point, can better filtering be added to the new hg repository? Or can a local Windows hg setup have such filtering on local commits before pushing?

I know now that I could always edit with IDLE's editor, but it is a lot easier to right click and select edit than it is to run thru the directory tree in an open dialog. And of course, since the pseudo-BOM addition is undocumented within notepad itself, and probably other editors, it is easy to not know.

--
Terry Jan Reedy