On 11/28/2010 3:58 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Antoine Pitrou<solip...@pitrou.net>  wrote:
..
For example,
I don't think that supporting

float('١٢٣٤.٥٦')
1234.56

Even if this is somehow an accident or something that someone snuck in, I think it a good idea that *users* be able to input amounts with their native digits. That is different from requiring *programmers* to write literals with euro-ascii-digits

is more important than to assure users that once their program
accepted some text as a number, they can assume that the text is
ASCII.

Why would they assume the text is ASCII?

def deposit(self, amountstr):
       self.balance += float(amountstr)
       audit_log("Deposited: " + amountstr)

If the programmer want to assure ascii, he can produce a string, possible formatted, from the amount

depform = "Deposited: ${:14.2f}".format
def deposit(self, amountstr):
    amount = float(amountstr)
    self.balance += amount
    # audit_log("Deposited: " + str(amount) # simple version
    audit_log(depform(amount))

Given that amountstr could be something like ' 182.33 ', I think programmer should plan to format it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy