At 07:47 AM 12/2/2010 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, about ICU:

>>> By that, I stand - however, I have given up the hope that this will
>>> happen anytime soon.
>>
>> Perhaps this could be made a GSOC topic.
>>

> Incidentally, this may also address another Python's Achilles' heel:
> the timezone support.
>
> http://icu-project.org/download/icutzu.html

I work with people who speak highly of ICU, so I want to encourage
work in this area.

At the same time, I'm skeptical -- IIRC, ICU is a large amount of C++
code. I don't know how easy it will be to integrate this into our
build processes for various platforms, nor how "Pythonic" the
resulting APIs will look to the experienced Python user.

Still, those are not roadblocks, the benefits are potentially great,
so it's definitely worth investigating!

FWIW, OSAF did a wrapping for Chandler, though I personally haven't used it:

   http://pyicu.osafoundation.org/

The README explains the mapping from the ICU APIs to Python ones, including iteration, string conversion, and timezone mapping for use with the datetime type.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)