On 12/3/2010 5:52 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
Am 03.12.2010 23:48, schrieb Éric Araujo:
But I'm not interested at all in having it in distutils2. I want the
Python build itself to use it, and alas, I can't because of the freeze.
You can’t in 3.2, true.  Neither can you in 3.1, or any previous
version.  If you implement it in distutils2, you have very good chances
to get it for 3.3.  Isn’t that a win?

It is, unfortunately, a very weak promise. Until distutils2 is
integrated in Python, I probably won't spend any time on it.

Éric, I have the impression from Tarek and you together that D2 is still in alpha only because it is not feature frozen and that it is as capable and stable as D1. I do not know what Martin means by 'integrate' (other than that he be able to use it to build Python), but if my first sentence is true, I cannot help but wonder whether a snapshot of D2 could be included with 3.2, perhaps as '_distribute2' (note leading underscore) at least for Python's use. The doc, if any, could just say 'Development snapshot of D2.a4 (or whatever) for building Python. Other uses should get the latest public release from PyPI."

--
Terry Jan Reedy