On 24/12/2010 02:21, Victor Stinner wrote:
Le jeudi 23 décembre 2010 à 21:59 +0100, Georg Brandl a écrit :
this thread showed that it is not at all obvious how the feature should look
like
Ok, I understand. I closed #8863 (rejected) and I created a third party
module on the Python cheese shop:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/faulthandler/

The module works on Linux, FreeBSD and Windows with Python 2.6
through 3.2.

A third party module can evolve faster outside Python.

I hope you will include it in 3.3 though; it is great functionality. I would really like to see it enabled by default as well.

It seemed from the discussion that the biggest barrier to enabling it by default was possible difficulties when embedding Python (multiple interpreters, potential conflicts with application signal handling). A public C-API to disable the functionality per interpreter would be one option for this. Another possibility would be providing a C-API to enable it and have the Python interpreter application call this, so that the functionality remains off by default for embedded interpreters but on for normal uses.

All the best,

Michael

Victor

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/