On 04/01/2011 16:54, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jan 04, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Alex Gaynor wrote:

Ugh, I can't be the only one who finds these special cases to be a little
nasty?

Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
Yeah, I agree.  Still it would be interesting to see what kind of performance
improvement this would result in.  That seems to be the only way to decide
whether the cost is worth the benefit.

Outside of testing, I do agree that most of the builtins could be pretty
safely optimized (even open()).  There needs to be a way to stop all
optimizations for testing purposes.  Perhaps a sys variable, plus command line
option and/or environment variable?

Although testing in an environment deliberately different from production is a recipe for hard to diagnose bugs.

Michael

-Barry

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil