On 1/5/2011 1:18 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 04:13, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com

    Your call as the author, but please reconsider this one. I've found it
    *hugely* convenient over the years to have these task oriented answers
    in the FAQ. The problem with the answers all over the internet is that
    I (or someone new to our source control tool) may not know enough to
    ask the right question, and hence those answers may as well not exist.
    Even if these FAQ answers don't always provide everything needed, they
    usually provide enough information to let me search for the full
    answers.

I agree with Nick here. I also found these instructions useful in the
past, although I'm quite familiar with SVN. New devs interested in
contributing to Python but not too familiar with the source-control tool
it's using at the time will benefit even more from this.

As for maintenance nightmare, I'm sure it's simple enough to attract
contributors. For example, I can volunteer to maintain it.

As a complete neophyte at actually using a source code system, I found the stripped-down step-by-step instructions useful even though I am using TortoiseSVN. Even the TortoiseSVN help doc is a bit overwhelming because it includes so much that I do not need to read. It would be a bit like a beginning programmer trying to learn Python from the Langauge Reference without having the Tutorial to read. (And even as an experienced C programmer, I started with the latter.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy