On 1/5/2011 8:59 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  wrote:
To test Brett's test running instruction, I ran
python -m test # not ./Python!
in a Command Prompt window

Does it behave itself if you add "-x test_capi" to the command line?

No, it gets worse. Really.
Let me summarize a long post.

Run 1: normal (as above)
Process stops at capi test with Windows error message.
Close command prompt window with [x] buttom (crtl-whatever had no effect).

Run 2: normal (as before)
Process reported capi test failure (supposedly fatal) but continued.
Process just stopped ('hung') at concurrent futures. Close as before.

Run 3: -x test_capi test_concurrent_futures
Instead of the normal output I expected, I got some of the craziest stuff I have ever seen. Things like
"
    assert main_name not in sys.modules, main_name
AssertionError: __main__
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Programs\Python32\lib\multiprocessing\forking.py", line 369, in main
    prepare(preparation_data)
  File "C:\Programs\Python32\lib\multiprocessing\forking.py", line 477,
"
were printed 100s of times intermixed with the normal sequential test startup lines. They stopped after text_sax started and output became normal through the end of the report.

295 tests OK.
11 tests failed:
    test_datetime test_difflib.bak test_ftplib test_lib2to3
    test_multiprocessing test_os.bak test_pep277 test_pkgutil
    test_posixpath test_runpy test_tcl
2 tests altered the execution environment:
    test___all__ test_site
41 tests skipped:
[snip]
4 skips unexpected on win32:
    test_gdb test_readline test_tk test_ttk_guionly
(It previously said it could not find tk (or ttk), even though IDLE does just fine.)

Then chained error craziness during shutdown: SystemExit, WindowsError, AttributeError, EOFError (details in original post).

I forgot to mention before that test_ftplib runs into Windows security and pops up a window (which I closed).

If I did not know better, I might have thought python to be a buggy piece of junk, but my well-tested package-in-progress runs fine (from IDLE edit window) in 3.2b2, unchanged from 3.1. I think fixing test regressions should happen before a 'release candidate'.

On same machine (again, installed from Martin's .msi)
C:\Programs\Python31>python -m test.regrtest
seems to run 'normally' (same security popup), no craziness (except for blocked ftplib test), with results

298 tests OK.
3 tests failed:
    test_ftplib test_lib2to3 test_tcl
39 tests skipped:
 [snip]
2 skips unexpected on win32:
    test_tk test_ttk_guionly

test_tcl had multiple errors, tk,ttk skips are from not finding usable init.tcl

Similar result with 2.7 with addition of test_distutils failure and 'unexpected skips' of test_gbd and test_readline (but I presume these really should be expected).

--
Terry Jan Reedy