On 1/24/2011 2:18 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:
Am 24.01.2011 20:04, schrieb Raymond Hettinger:
Looking at http://docs.python.org/dev/library/html.html#module-html
it would appear that we've created a new module with a single
trivial function.

In reality, there was already a python package, html, that served
to group two loosely related modules, html.parser and
html.entities.

ISTM, that if we're going to use python packages as "namespace
containers" for categorizing modules, then the top level __init__
namespace should be left empty.

Before the placement of html.escape() becomes set in stone, I think
we should consider putting it somewhere else.

To be honest, I don't see the issue.  I don't see stdlib packages as
"namespace containers", but rather as a nice way of structuring
functionality. And remember that flat is better than nested -- why
should escape() be put away into a new submodule?

At least you'll need to let us know where you would rather put that
function.

I would put in html.entities, which is also sparse, as it seems to me vaguely related.

--
Terry Jan Reedy