On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:12:02AM +0100, "Martin v. L??wis" wrote:
> There are cases where there is no real "transfer", in the sense in which
> you are using the word. For example, with NFS, you can access the very
> same file simultaneously on two systems, with no file name conversion
> (unless you are using NFSv4, and unless your NFSv4 implementations
> support the UTF-8 mandate in NFS well).
>
> Also, if two users of the same machine have different locale settings,
> the same file name might be interpreted differently.

   I have a solution for all these problems, with a price, of course.
Let's use utf8+base64. Base64 uses a very restricted subset of ASCII and
filenames will never be interpreted whatever filesystem encodings would
be. The price is users loose standard OS tools like ls and find.
   I am partially joking, of course, but only partially.

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            p...@phdru.name